nafex - Re: [nafex] cimmamin/nutmeg flavoured apple?

  • From: "David M. Taylor" <dmtaylor@lakefield.net>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>, <billmcnam@yahoo.com>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] cimmamin/nutmeg flavoured apple?
  • Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2012 21:49:45 -0500

As for odd flavored apples, there are lots! Here are just a few that I have tasted:

The apple variety Empress has a very pronounced black licorice flavor. I can occasionally pick up a hint of anise/licorice from most of the McIntosh-family varieties including Cortland, Jonamac, etc., but Empress takes the prize!

Hudson's Golden Gem is an apple that tastes quite a bit like a pear. You may get similar character from lots of other varieties that are heavily russeted (which Hudson's is).

Last year I tried a Lady Alice apple, and I thought it tasted a little like lemon and/or ginger. But then this year I didn't pick up the same complexity.

Opal to me tastes a lot like apricot.

From Fuji I often pick up a certain artificial grape flavor.

They say Sweet 16 is supposed to taste like cherry licorice or almond, but I didn't detect it in my tastings. However...

Sweet 16's parent is Malinda, and from that one, I most certainly do pick up a huge almond flavor.

I've tasted a little known variety called Yarwood Crab that I thought had a mozzerella cheese-like flavor, but without the salt of course.

Finally, a little off-topic, but for anyone who has lived in the Milwaukee area, I think I've finally figured out the secret ingredient to the old Candy Raisins (which sadly are no longer made with the same recipe and which will never be duplicated accurately). There is a pear variety called French Butter that when ripe tastes precisely like the old Candy Raisins of my youth. Yum. For the bulk of you who have never tasted Candy Raisins, too bad.... but you can have a good pear instead!

Taste is subjective. Don't take my word as truth, or anyone else's. Taste them for yourself. If you can get your hands on them.

--
Dave
"Newton not living... I am there to catch her."