nafex - Re: [nafex] Asian pears

  • From: Matt Demmon <mdemmon@gmail.com>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Asian pears
  • Date: Mon, 3 Sep 2012 10:14:41 -0400

So far (3rd leaf) they are just as easy to grow as apples or european
pears for me. I think some cultivars are more susceptible to
fireblight than others. I have Hosui, Olympic Giant, and Nijiseki
(can't spell that one!). They are really growing a LOT this year, more
than previously. Either because of the heat, or roots being more
established, or the fact that all their flowers got nailed in late
frosts and there is no fruit. They do seem to enjoy the heat of this
summer, and they are growing much more rapidly than my european pears.
I got 2 flower clusters and 1 fruit from Olympic Giant last year. It
was heavenly. Better than any asian pear I've ever had from the store
by far. This year, all 3 flowered, about 3-6 clusters each, but we
have no tree fruit on our property due to the early warmth and late
frosts. Except for Aromatnaya quince, which flowered in late May.

Off that topic, my other fruit report is on red raspberries, which are
boomin' right now. Autumn Bliss is earliest of mine, but the fruit is
pretty soft and bland. Large conical berries. I also have Caroline and
Heritage, but I lost the tags. They both taste very good, almost
identical to me, but one is about 2 feet shorter and 2 weeks later.
Both are producing very large amounts of berries, much more than
Autumn Bliss.

-matt
z5 se MI