nafex - [nafex] moth traps for general purpose monitoring

  • From: anton ptak <antonptak@gmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [nafex] moth traps for general purpose monitoring
  • Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2012 08:44:31 -0600

I'm interested in other's preferences for traps and insect monitoring- here's the question . . .

I'm looking to do some general monitoring for moth activity in a small (3 acre) orchard. Currently, we have only seen one or two incidences of codling moth damage on fruit in the first two years of limited production. I'm hesitant to use baited traps in that I don't want to attract CM that I don't have yet, but I'm not sure if this is sound logic - there are few host species around, though there are a half dozen or so older apple trees about 1 mile away, and wild plums here and there along roadsides. There are some resident leaf rollers but these have not been at a level that is cause for concern. Still, I'd like to do some monitoring, at a reasonable cost. Great Lakes IPM has some lower cost wing style traps available - wondering if anyone has any experience with those or other style traps used without lures for general purpose monitoring.

Much appreciated!

Anton Ptak
zone 4a W. Wisc