nafex - Re: [NAFEX] NAFEX list & Google+ opportunity.

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lflj@bellsouth.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] NAFEX list & Google+ opportunity.
  • Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2011 03:03:20 -0400

On 10/10/2011 12:22 AM, Ginda Fisher wrote:

On Oct 9, 2011, at 9:23 PM, Lawrence F. London, Jr. wrote:
That is limited to what you put in your profile and where you want
your profile to be made accessible . . .

There are some concerns with Google+ and privacy, but they mostly are
an issue for people who don't use their legal name on at least some
of their internet activity. Google+'s implementation of it's "real
name" policy leaves something to be desired.

In my opinion that is how it should be, i.e. use your real name. I will not add anyone to any of my circles unless their profile displays their real name. There are too many spammers using cutesy fake names that I actually don't want reading my posts or comments. I, of course, will make exceptions for anyone using a nick who contacts me privately to let me know who they are or if I already know them. I help run this list, gardenwriters, marketfarming and permaculture and I must say I hate not knowing who people are when they only use a silly nick and want to subscribe. I can't afford to have spammers or crackers (malicious hackers) in my lists.

I know of at least one
person who had tried to use a nickname. Google+ somehow guessed at
his "real name", got it wrong, but then put that name not only on his
Google+ account but also on some other Google services he used,
(which were already published to other people) without warning him it
would do so.

That wouldn't have bothered me. I am sold on anything and everything Google does and really appreciate being able to use their excellent resources for free; they are so reliable and fast and allow real work to happen (big file size posts, attachments, etc. - you won't find that anywhere else...and Google docs offers a world class resource for document collaboration.

That being said, I use Google+, and agree that it is in many ways
better than Facebook. If you create a Google+ presence for NAFEX, I
would like to join. You will have an awkward issue that few NAFEX
users use a gmail account on NAFEX, so all these people (including
me) will need to subscribe to the NAFEX group with a different email
account than they use for the mailing list. But I'm sure the details
can be worked out.

The recent file attachment issue reminded me of an excellent reason to use GMail. If someone attaches a 1.1 megabyte picture think how long it will take to download the mail feed from this list that contains it; unthinkable if a user is on 56kb dialup. With GMail they store the file on the server size and when you read your mail you only have to load a little thumbnail of the actual file but can download the whole file at will. GMail is so portable; you can log into it from any computer anywhere. That is a small price to pay to be able to use Google+ which is something I think lots of folks are going to use all the time for many years to come. Just start out right, configure your profile and security right and create circles and add people to them sparingly.

I just created a G+ NAFEX circle:
https://plus.google.com/stream/circles/pe69a1450e231a9a?hl=en

North American Fruit Explorers
Google+ companion to the NAFEX list at ibiblio:

Ginda Fisher Eastern MA, zone 6, where the unusual weather has
convinced some plants that it is spring. Oh - and on a fruit note - I
roto-tilled and re-seeded part of my lawn this fall. Lots of weeds
are sprouting among the grass seeds. The most peculiar "weed" is
tomatoes. I have tomato seedlings everywhere. I guess the chipmunks
that have eaten my entire crop have been spreading seeds, and some of
those seeds were even ripe enough to sprout. Who knew?
Subscribe, unsubscribe, change your user configuration or find out
more about the list here: