nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Artist revives Marshall strawberry now Suwanee

  • From: Scott Smith <scott@cs.jhu.edu>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Artist revives Marshall strawberry now Suwanee
  • Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2011 17:09:12 -0400

Betsy, the only source I know of is to get runners from the ARS. I pulled up
my bed a few years ago (no time to weed strawberries) so I don't have the
variety anymore myself.

Scott

http://www.ars-grin.gov/cgi-bin/npgs/acc/display.pl?1446374

On Sep 2, 2011, at 4:54 PM, Elizabeth Hilborn wrote:

> You have piqued my interest in Suwanee, however, it does not appear to
> be available commercially. Are there sources for it?
>
> Betsy Hilborn
>
> On 9/1/2011 5:42 PM, Road's End Farm wrote:
>> How does Suwannee handle Zone 5, do you know?
>>
>> My current favorite is Sparkle. Definitely not a shipping berry; but
>> delicious.
>>

>> -- Rivka; Finger Lakes NY, Zone 5 mostly
>> Fresh-market organic produce, small scale
>>

>> On Sep 1, 2011, at 4:55 PM, Scott Smith wrote:
>>
>>> Darrow considered it not very suitable in the east. See
>>> http://www.nal.usda.gov/pgdic/Strawberry/book/bokten.htm
>>> for Darrow's description of Marshall as well as other heirloom