nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Artist revives Marshall strawberry

  • From: Road's End Farm <organic87@frontiernet.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Artist revives Marshall strawberry
  • Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2011 17:42:14 -0400

How does Suwannee handle Zone 5, do you know?

My current favorite is Sparkle. Definitely not a shipping berry; but delicious.

On Sep 1, 2011, at 4:55 PM, Scott Smith wrote:

Darrow considered it not very suitable in the east. See http://www.nal.usda.gov/pgdic/Strawberry/book/bokten.htm for Darrow's description of Marshall as well as other heirloom varieties.

I did a test planting of heirloom varieties several years ago and found Suwannee to be my favorite. I agree with Darrow: "Suwannee was named for its very high dessert quality, which is perhaps the best in the United States".

Scott z7 MD