nafex - Re: [NAFEX] University researchers working to perfect haskapberries for Canada (Vancouver Sun)

  • From: Sarah Kehler Ewing <skkewing@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] University researchers working to perfect haskapberries for Canada (Vancouver Sun)
  • Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2011 09:35:42 -0700 (PDT)

I know they are in the honeysuckle family, but I haven't seen any signs of
them being invasive.  They all stay put right where I planted them and form
perfectly shaped nice bushes without a lick of pruning whatsoever.  I haven't
bothered to attempt propagating them (aside from growing seedlings which is
super easy and also the reason why I have 4.5 125" rows of
haskaps/honeyberries), but they sure haven't done it on their own!

I'll give you that they are tough: my first batch is planted in full grassy
turf (not lawn, think quack grass and other very tall, totally invasive,
impossible to kill, choking grass species) and while they have taken longer
to get to 4' tall, they fruit like crazy every year and the berries are not
smaller than normal=the ones planted in bare earth.  In fact, this year after
I beat back the 5' tall grass, I found that my honeyberries had much larger
berries than my friend's very nicer to pick bushes planted in bare earth.
Granted we do have vastly different soils: but their's is #1 great for
cropping soil and mine is... well, very heavy clay that is only good for
pasture... being surrounded by cow 1/4s should have been our first warning
when we were land shopping that the soil in this area is terrible... we
really didn't need to pay $300 bucks for soil testing to find out that it has
pretty much zero of everything plants need to grow!  sigh.

Sarah
zone 3
Edmonton, AB