nafex - Re: [NAFEX] University researchers working to perfect haskap berries for Canada (Vancouver Sun)

  • From: Sarah Kehler Ewing <skkewing@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] University researchers working to perfect haskap berries for Canada (Vancouver Sun)
  • Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2011 07:40:56 -0700 (PDT)

Haven't tasted wine from them... give me a couple of years!  I haven't had my
equipment out since we moved to the farm (trailer didn't have room), but we
are in the big house now and getting close to having too much of a couple
kinds of fruit.  I would think that wine from them would be distinctive, the
jam from them is highly flavoured-not just sugar jell like some other stuff.

I'm surprised that yours are so short: my first planting, which includes the
variety Blue Belle, could not be in worse soil and is completely over-run by
choking grasses and they are still at the 5'  mark.  But they do well in
higher pH soil which is something we have in spades here on the prairies.

The mish mash effect of seedlings is where the fun is! ;0) I had a few
seedlings fruit this year: all the ones that made the 12" growth mark last
year.  They were very much like the originals, nothing remarkable, but very
edible.

Sarah
zone 3
Edmonton, AB