nafex - Re: [NAFEX] University researchers working to perfect haskapberries for Canada (Vancouver Sun)

  • From: mIEKAL aND <qazingulaza@gmail.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] University researchers working to perfect haskapberries for Canada (Vancouver Sun)
  • Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2011 08:21:15 -0500

I got 25 Crimson Passion from Honeyberry USA, this year, & tho they
were tiny tissue culture plants 8" high, most of them are a very
vigorous 3' now after 2 1/2 months in the ground. I'm assuming the
Haskaps are tissue culture as well.

I also have been really annoyed by the Haskap name until I discovered
that the word is an ancient Ainu word for the fruit, which convinced
me it was a good choice of name. Plus without "honeysuckle" in the
name people's invasive plant alarms won't go off so quickly.

~mIEKAL