nafex - [NAFEX] Hardy kiwi, the phoenix of the plant world

  • From: Elizabeth Hilborn <ehilborn@mebtel.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Hardy kiwi, the phoenix of the plant world
  • Date: Sun, 01 May 2011 11:41:13 -0400

I reported earlier this year that I noticed my male had shed bark at the base of its' trunk, apparently girdling the plant. I noticed some bark cracking and exposed cambium on a female as well.Later this spring, they were frozen back after leafing out 2-3 inches.

I am amazed now to see both plants sporting healthy new foliage, barely the worse for wear.

I am impressed by their resilience.

Betsy Hilborn
7a central NC