nafex - [NAFEX] Scion Storage

  • From: Richard MURPHY <murphman108@msn.com>
  • To: nafex <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Scion Storage
  • Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2011 00:33:35 +0000

Hello Graftopheliacs!

In my short horticultural lifetime, I have cut / saved / grafted scions only
once; 6 for 6 success last year.
I cut 18" cuttings of Jonafree apple, but cut them down to 4" at grafting
time.
I did use some slightly damp paper towels at the basal end, mostly to keep
the sticks from poking through the Glad Wrap.
I wrapped the bundle of sticks in Glad wrap as you would for a sub sandwich.
Did this 3 times over, put elastics on the bundle, and chucked them in the
fridge. immediately!
3 months later, I grafted these sticks, and a couple of my fingers, to a Wolf
River, Yellow Transparent, and seedling stocks.
All took 100%
I suppose if you're really worried about fungus, a dusting of Captan right
before wrapping will help, because that is what seeds get treated with to
keep mold away.
BTW the damp paper towels came out just as damp as when they were wrapped,
supporting Mr. Bunker's claim of it being unnecessary.
But it doesn't hurt; be clean!

Murph

R A Murphy Jr

  • [NAFEX] Scion Storage, Richard MURPHY, 02/25/2011