nafex - Re: [NAFEX] black raspberries

  • From: Richard Moyer <ramoyer@gmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] black raspberries
  • Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2011 22:05:04 -0500

Betsy,
Black raspberries are native to much of NC. "Manual Flora of the
Carolinas" by Ritchie and Bell denotes these counties. This book
available in many libraries.

Depending on where you live in NC, there are native black raspberries
close by. These are somewhat smaller fruited than the named cultivars
for sale, but they are adapted to your area. And as Michael
mentioned, some of these native selections are quite disease
resistant. Native black raspberries often grow in with blackberries
and naturalized red raspberries. Once you can recognize the arching
clumps of silver-purple stems, they are easily spotted at highway
speeds. If you're not use to picking these wild ones, you're in for a
treat. And they tip-layer profusely, so it's often easy to find young
plants around your favorite patches.

Richard Moyer
While clearing our land in SW VA to access sugar maples; keeping our
native black raspberries and gooseberries, and naturalized
wineberries.