nafex - [NAFEX] Black Raspberries

  • From: "Jim Fruth" <jimfruth@charter.net>
  • To: "NAFEX" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Black Raspberries
  • Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2011 08:50:06 -0600

Betsy Hilborn asked, "Red, Gold and Purple Raspberries and Blackberries should not be planted within 75 to 100 feet of Black Raspberries."
Does anyone know why they suggest this?

My black raspberries are planted close to the red raspberries and every time this subject is brought up I, again, wonder why anyone would offer such a warning. I have zero problems. Mine are 15' apart because if they were closer, they would invade each other.
The only possible problem I could guess at would be that bees are going to cross pollinate berries that are planted close together and that would only be a problem if you saved those progeny that the birds planted. I dig up all of the bird-planted berry plants for sale but I don't sell them until I know which are true to type and which are crossed.

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Fruit Farm
4002 Davis Street
Pequot Lakes, MN 56472