nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Raspberries blackberries

  • From: Michael Dossett <phainopepla@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Raspberries blackberries
  • Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2011 23:52:59 -0800 (PST)

Red raspberries and blackberries can carry viruses asymptomatically that
severely affect black raspberries. The distance is to help stop spread which
can be either by pollen or by aphids depending on the virus. For whatever
reason, black raspberries seem to be extra-sensitive to these viruses that
are less of a problem for the other berries. As a result, black raspberries
have become the standard for graft testing for viruses from red raspberry and
blackberry, because they show the symptoms quickly. On the flip side of the
coin, black raspberries have shrunk from being a much larger industry in this
country than red raspberries because growers have such problems with disease.

We've made great strides the last few years in discovering new sources of
aphid and disease resistance in black raspberry germplasm and I'm very
optimistic that new varieties with improved planting life and vigor will be
available to people in the not too distant future.

Michael

Michael Dossett
Corvallis, Oregon
www.Mdossettphoto.com