nafex - [NAFEX] raspberries of the rainbow

  • From: "fuwa fuwa usagi" <fuwafuwausagi@muchomail.com>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] raspberries of the rainbow
  • Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2011 10:58:27 -0800

It was thus queried:

I am planning to plant some bramble berries this year and ran across this
statement at Stark Bros: "Red, Gold and Purple Raspberries and Blackberries
should not be planted within 75 to 100 feet of Black Raspberries."

My reply:

A few reasons.

1) Accidental crosses that grow as seedlings. Likely to be less palatable as
within a color group (except oddly the Korean yellows)

2) Red and Gold tend to be hardier than purple and blacks, and tend to have a
shorter lifespan bu they host disease that can spread to the Red and Golds

3) The comment is probably somewhat dates, a long time ago the colors really
were relatively distinct, now the lines are more blurred.

I would suggest you call and ask. A good resource might also Nourse, they
probably have a bit more of modern view of things.

tfb

The Free Email with so much more!
=====> http://www.MuchoMail.com <=====