nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Semi-dwarf apples + Deer =

  • From: Amelia Hayner <abhayner@gmail.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Semi-dwarf apples + Deer =
  • Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2011 11:27:32 -0500

oh you poor thing. I believe deer have extendable necks. I tried wrapping my trees with 2x4" wire, and the goats/sheep would simply reach their lips through there, grab a tiny piece of loose bark and shred it upward.
I don't know about deer, but I have watched a goat balance perfectly on it's hind legs, for  a min. or 2, and easily reach over 6' tall.
I would recommend what people around here call "lead poisoning" for your deer-- if possible--
in my case I got handfuls of green shoots around the wounded areas..maybe you can select some new growths.
Amy