nafex - Re: [NAFEX] MisIdentification: Goumi vs. Autum Olive

  • From: Amelia Hayner <abhayner@gmail.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] MisIdentification: Goumi vs. Autum Olive
  • Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2011 11:21:17 -0500

On Sat, Jan 1, 2005 at 2:02 AM, Kieran &/or Donna <holycow@frontiernet.net> wrote:
Amy,   Wolfberries are supposedly naturalized on the Carolina coast.  I can buy them cheap dried in oriental grocery stores, but because of their use as a "tonic" herb I would like to grow them.  They don't seem to like clay soil, I've read they like sand.  I have read that the bushes are so ugly that their only landscaping use is to cover up something even uglier.  The flavor of the dried berries is of course going to be stronger than the fresh, but dried they taste a bit like dried tomatoes.  You can probably find some dried berries if you look around.  They are called various things on labels, "Fructus Lycii" and chinese wolfberry and boxthorn.  Donna
------- well, that's good to hear, cause I read somewhere on this list that Raintree has their catalog out now, and that lit a fire under me this AM, cause usually by the time I get it, they are sold out of something that I WANT. so, I will be planting the ugly little wolfberries on the back part of the fence, not at the road. And I will leave them on the plant a long time. Also decided to get 5 of those new blackberries before they sold out.  Amy