nafex - [NAFEX] Identifying xylem (was Re: air layer 2)

  • From: Alexander Brands <abb7@Lehigh.EDU>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Identifying xylem (was Re: air layer 2)
  • Date: Sat, 02 Oct 2010 13:45:19 -0400

From: Jwlehman@aol.com
To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
Subject: Re: [NAFEX] air layer 2

Cut away only about 1/4 inch. The roots develop at the edge of the bark near the upper cut edge. Cut the bark only do not remove the xylem, only bark and cambium. Also apply a small amount of IBA rooting hormone to the bark maybe an area of 1/2 inch above the cut.

Jerry,

Can we substitute "wood" for "xylem" in your directions? In other words, how do we identify the xylem? I usually think of the wood as the xylem....Is there a layer of the xylem that would peel off easily with the cambium?

Alex