nafex - Re: [NAFEX] air layer 2

  • From: Jwlehman@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] air layer 2
  • Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2010 21:01:09 EDT

In a message dated 9/27/2010 2:22:09 PM Eastern Daylight Time, murphman108@msn.com writes:

When I air-layered the Wolf River apples, I cut away a 2" section of bark, then did the Sphagnum moss / plastic / foil wrap.
Was it wrong to cut the bark off?
I've never Air-Layered anything before.

I have air layered a few cherries successfully. I've seen others instruct on the subject, but I'm not an expert at it. Now that you know my qualifications.... :-).

Cut away only about 1/4 inch. The roots develop at the edge of the bark near the upper cut edge. Cut the bark only do not remove the xylem, only bark and cambium. Also apply a small amount of IBA rooting hormone to the bark maybe an area of 1/2 inch above the cut.

I've heard others say simply score the bark all around the limb and apply the IBA around the cut.

Just checked a reference book I have, "Plant Propagation in Pictures" by Montague Free, 1957. In it he reports about an average of 50% success on Malus. Some Malus species were more successful than others.

Do try it again next spring after the leaves have developed.

Jerry