nafex - Re: [NAFEX] air layer 2

  • From: Jwlehman@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] air layer 2
  • Date: Sat, 2 Oct 2010 11:45:26 EDT

In a message dated 10/2/2010 9:31:36 AM Eastern Daylight Time, lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu writes:

"Just a reminder that all cuttings need to callus before they will root. This method allows the callusing to take place on the mother plant before the cutting is removed and is most helpful for those hard to root trees/shrubs. Plan to use the toothpick technique during the last weeks of August up until mid-September. This is a little known process and when I first posted it a number of growers contacted me, pleased to know about it as it requires no misting systems, etc.

Hi Lucky,

Thanks for your input. I have no doubt that will work on many tree species.

I'd like to point out that not all calloused cuttings will root. I've had many scions callous in the frig., but none have rooted for me, except P. myrobalan (European plum). I've had reports of scions rooting while in long storage.

Heard a speaker once reporting of invitro propagation. Don't remember but believe it was apple.  The researcher reported the cuttings formed enough callous he could have made apple sauce, but developed no roots. That person was able to multiply the callous, but no roots.

David Pierce, a local persimmon grower and researecher tried several years to root persimmon cuttings. The cuttings formed callous easily but only ever had more than one cutting develop one root and it broke off then he tried to move it into the growing medium. David tried rooting persimmon with many rooting soups to no avail.

Jerry