nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Fig exploring in WI

  • From: "Doreen Howard" <gardendiva@charter.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Fig exploring in WI
  • Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2010 20:27:45 -0500

How do you store your fig trees over the winter? I'm on the Illinois-Wisconsin border in Zone 4b and planted my first fig in a large container last spring. My garage isn't heated, but plants placed against the house walls in the garage survive. I thought I could overwinter the fig there. I also put some large containers of ornamentals in the basement for the winter. It never goes below 40F there, though, so chilling doesn't occur. I'm interested in your techniques.
Doreen Howard