nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Fig exploring in NC

  • From: Chris Garriss <cgarriss@garriss.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Fig exploring in NC
  • Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2010 15:47:29 -0400

Quite interesting, while I have never tried to grow figs I like eating them.

My sister (Ladiesburg MD - north and a bit west of Frederick and not far from PA line) has a fig of unknown name - it was at the old home place and known only as "The Fig".  It was originally dug up in Roanoke Rapids NC about 50 years ago by my mother and planted in Howard County MD - about 15 miles west of Baltimore; then again dug up by my sister about 30 years ago and planted at her house in Ladiesburg MD.  The fig has never gained the stature (height) that the ones in NC (growing along side it) had but has continued to survive.  Has winter killed to the ground a few times, but not really often.  Originally we did not think it would survive, so it was sort of an experiment.

This year she had a tremendous crop - more than any year in the previous 10 at least, and possibly since it has been in MD.  Has quite a few friends from other countries, they all came and got quite a few...along with the squirrels and other wildlife.  Quality was quite good.

There was also a person I worked with that had 50 - 60 figs of several varieties growing in Sanford NC (about 30 miles SW of Raleigh NC).  His always cropped well, although I have not seen him in a number of years.

While I live in SE Chatham County, not far from Raleigh, I plan to move to the mountains of NC, and have been concentrating on apples.  Perhaps I should try re-transplanting a sucker from my sister's fig and see if it survives the mountains.

Chris