nafex - [NAFEX] Fig exploring in WI

  • From: mIEKAL aND <qazingulaza@gmail.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Fig exploring in WI
  • Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2010 20:22:48 -0500

The race is on to see which varieties will ripen before the hard frost. Some predictions of freezing this coming weekend but possibly I have another couple weeks. Order of ripening this years was Celeste Improved, Celeste, Brown Turkey, LSU Gold, Hardy Chicago, Italian Honey. I still have about 20+ varieties in various states. My favorite Conadria, is a good week to two weeks away from ripe. (& oiling the eyes definitely has never worked for me.) I made fig jam last week & two different people thought it was strawberries. One of these years I'm gonna have enough production to make some wine but for now I'll settle for the pleasure of nibbling 3-4 a day straight off the trees.

~mIEKAL