nafex - [NAFEX] Vein chlorosis in paw paw seedling

  • From: Alexander Brands <abb7@Lehigh.EDU>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Vein chlorosis in paw paw seedling
  • Date: Mon, 02 Aug 2010 21:39:44 -0400

Hello,

Has anyone seen vein chlorosis in paw paw seedlings? I started several paw paw seeds this spring, and one of them has very obvious yellowing of the veins in the older leaves:

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s303/alexander3_photos/overall.jpg

There are also some little brown spots along the yellowing veins:

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s303/alexander3_photos/closeup.jpg

This seedling was grown from a seed of a Susquehanna paw paw.

Chlorotic leaves with green veins seems to be a common pattern, but I can't find any info on the web about this pattern of chlorosis being associated with a nutrient deficiency. I've found examples this symptom associated with a viral infection in other plants, but it seems unlikely that a first year seedling growing inside my house would have a viral infection.

I'm guessing its some sort of genetic bad luck, but was wondering if anyone else has seen this kind of thing.

Alex