nafex - [NAFEX] Trellis Rust on Pear

  • From: John Barbowski <jbarbowski@gmail.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Trellis Rust on Pear
  • Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2010 00:34:39 -0400

I recently noticed a couple of maladies on me Clapps and Seckel Pears. My neighbour's tree also has the same affliction. It appears to be Pear Trellis Rust, according to the following site:

http://www.omafra.gov.on.ca/english/crops/hort/news/hortmatt/2007/23hrt07a2.htm

It was sprayed with a dormant spray and a general fungucide at blosson drop. The 13 year old tree is otherwise healthy, although it has suffered from other infestations the last couple of years. There is however,
something else that is unusual; namely splits on about 10% of the pears. Don't really know if it is because of the rust or because of the abnormally wet April and May. As most of you are finding I am sure,
it has been hot and humid from mid June till now. The pears will be ripe in 2 weeks or so.

Everything is early. Strawberry Pippens started to mature 3 weeks ago and are now finished; a nice white fleshed summer apple and surprisingly earlier than my Yellow Transparent (just picked). I removed
the zip locks from Burgundy - they should be ready in two weeks.

Lots of vegetative growth on tomatoes, but minimal and small fruit! I usually have some ripe tomatoes by now - maybe in two weeks. Red Haven peaches are coming in - in spite of the birds and wasps! Been picking blackberries for over a week.

We don't have fire ants up here, but we have what must be a close relative. They are aggressive and painful. The stinging lasts for at least 1/2 hour. A malathion mix takes care of them when I stray upon one of their nests.

Pics of the rust and some odds and ends may be found at: http://s217.photobucket.com/albums/cc149/JBarbowski/ClappsPears/

john b
Canadian Zone 6b

  • [NAFEX] Trellis Rust on Pear, John Barbowski, 08/02/2010