nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Protecting plants

  • From: Jay Cutts <orders@cuttsreviews.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Protecting plants
  • Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2010 13:19:21 -0600

Well, dang. They just stole that idea from me!!

Seriously, that's the same concept. No loss of heat into the air and direct delivery of heat to the plant surface unaffected by wind and not requiring enclosing the plant. I wonder about microwaves, though, as compared with infrared. Seems like infrared would be safer. Plus the Raytheon system is bound to be expensive unless they come up with some units for home use.

Regards,

Jay

Jay Cutts
Director, Cutts Graduate Reviews
Lead Author, Barron's Test Prep Publications
800-353-4898 day or eve, 7 days
(In NM, 505-281-0684)

Hal Love wrote:
How about microwave radiation?

http://www.raytheon.com/newsroom/technology/rtn10_tmpwve/

"Tempwave is Raytheon's patent-pending system that uses low-level microwave
radiant heat to prevent frost damage to crops. The system directly transmits
microwave energy from towers located in an orchard or vineyard to crops
without heating the intervening air."

Hal

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jay Cutts" <orders@cuttsreviews.com>