nafex - [NAFEX] Protecting plants

  • From: Jay Cutts <orders@cuttsreviews.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Protecting plants
  • Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2010 12:40:04 -0600

Here is an idea for protecting flowers/fruits from late frost. Consider that even if you try to create a source of heat or to cover the plant to keep heat in, the heat may well be lost if there is wind or even just by convection. But what about a radiant heat source? That would be a source that produces infrared radiation. It's like shining a light bulb on the plant. The light can't be blown away by wind. Infrared light would just shine on the plant and would warm the surfaces that it touched.

It may not be practical or cheap but I wonder if anyone has experimented with this. Today the winds are whipping around at 30 to 40 mph, as they often do here in the spring, and any attempt to trap heat would be futile.

I know there are panels that produce infrared radiation without producing any light at all. Don't know if they make them for outdoors.

Regards,

Jay

Jay Cutts
Director, Cutts Graduate Reviews
Lead Author, Barron's Test Prep Publications
800-353-4898 day or eve, 7 days
(In NM, 505-281-0684)