nafex - [NAFEX] Questions for Dr. Bors

  • From: Melissa Kacalanos <mijwiz@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Questions for Dr. Bors
  • Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2010 12:00:51 -0700 (PDT)

Wow, we have a celebrity on our list! I hope I don't drive him away by asking
too many questions.

--- On Wed, 4/28/10, Bob Bors <bob.bors@usask.ca> wrote:
>Haskap like many blue colored berries look ripe outside before they are
>>really ripe.

How many different blue colored berries are there? I'm coming up with a very
short list.

>Because Carmine jewel is a hybrid between an improved Mongolian (lousy
>flavour and a bush) and a sour cherry tree variety (Northstar, good >flavor
>but a small tree) you are likely to get wide variation in the >seedlings.

Am I understanding correctly, that it's simply an F1 hybrid between these two
parents? I'd somehow been assuming that more generations of breeding would
have been necessary to get rid of tree-ness and lousy flavor. Anyway, thanks
for breeding it. We planted one this year. I hope it doesn't mind zone 5.

I'm also curious about the parentage of your Romance series of cherries. I've
heard of sour cherries like 'Danube' and 'Jubileum' that are reputedly
sweeter than the usual sour cherry, so I wondered if they might have been
used in your breeding program.

Melissa

  • [NAFEX] Questions for Dr. Bors, Melissa Kacalanos, 04/29/2010