nafex - [NAFEX] Paul Friday's peaches as experienced in southeast NY

  • From: Alan Haigh <alandhaigh@gmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Paul Friday's peaches as experienced in southeast NY
  • Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2010 05:43:32 -0500

Paul Friday has done an excellent job of promoting his babies, but there are plenty of breeding programs going on pursuing his same goals that have also introduced wonderful varieties.   I grow PF 24, but I'm not sure which one- for some reason he used the number twice adding a letter after the # and one is particularly cold hardy so much in demand in colder regions.  The one I grow has excellent flavor but so does Coralstar, which bears in its season and for a week longer, making it the better home orchard selection IMO. as of now, in my area.  PF 1 hasn't worked on 2 sites I've tried it-  it may be just too early for my area.

If you live in a climate similar to his, I would certainly consider his selections, but there are lots of peaches out there and I don't feel that one man is capable of cornering the market on breeding great peaches. I actually find it annoying that he puts his own name on every selection just as I find it annoying when people name all their children after them (I think only men are inclined to do this, must be a testosterone thing).