nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Nanking Cherries

  • From: Richard Moyer <ramoyer@gmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Nanking Cherries
  • Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2010 20:45:26 -0500

Bought 30 cherries, row run, about 15 years ago. Planted them out in
clay fill dirt along a parking l lot. Wide variety in these
seedlings. 8-10 of them were good fruiters, large enough that we used
a cherry pitter on them and froze the fruit for later use. I have
planted out seedlings of these at our new place.

A few of them were of the type Lucky described, pitifully small. Also
noticed a range of resistance to black knot disease.

Does Oikos sell selected Nanking Cherries? Ken Asmus collects seed
from superior plants and sells the seedlings in bulk. Got some good
things from him before.

Richard Moyer
Castlewood, SW VA
Clearing land on our farm, keep finding pawpaw and apple seedlings to graft.