nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Pink Lady

  • From: "William C. Garthright" <billg@inebraska.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Pink Lady
  • Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2010 20:06:52 -0600

Unfortunately, I discovered that Pink Lady requires a long, hot growing
season. Just to cold here in zone 2. Minnesota

Yes, I suppose that you're right. But my little Pink Lady apple tree bore fruit for the first time last year, and I was surprised at how early they ripened. I mean, I was expecting them to be very, very late, but they ripened considerably earlier than my other late apples (admittedly, they get some shade, while the Pink Lady is in full sun).

Unfortunately, I forgot to note the date - sometime in late September, as I recall. And here I was worried that they might not have time to ripen at all! We had a very cool summer, too (for Nebraska).

They also kept very well in the refrigerator. I still have three or four left, though they're starting to go bad now.

Unfortunately, we've had a very unusual amount of snow this winter, and the rabbits got over the little electric fence and chewed the heck out of my tree. Usually, I put a circle of 4' high chickenwire around each tree, but we rarely get much snow. Naturally, the year I decide to experiment with the electric wire, we get a ton of it. Go figure.

I had the trunk wrapped, so that should be OK. But the tree is very small and most of the branches were low enough for the rabbits to completely strip.

Bill
Lincoln, NE (zone 5)

--
When a whole nation is roaring Patriotism at the top of its voice, I am fain to explore the cleanness of its hands and purity of its heart. - Ralph Waldo Emerson