nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Saving over-fertilized plants

  • From: Roy Johnson <royj157@gmail.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Saving over-fertilized plants
  • Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2010 08:57:10 -0800

Plants are all over the map when it comes to 'salt tolerance' so there is no one good answer.    Sandy soils are more difficult to manage for salts since they do not buffer very well, and some plants can tolerate a lot of salts, ie Sweet Corn or Potatoes.  Best to follow the recommended rates as promoted by your local Land Grant College Extension, and adjust lower for sandy soils and higher for heavy/organic soils.
Find out if you are growing a 'salt sensitive' crop and do not over fertilize.
You could perhaps plant a temp cover crop to soak up the excessive salts for a time, like buckwheat.