nafex - [NAFEX] OT Corn Salad / Mache Mystery

  • From: Rosholdt <rosholdt@erols.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] OT Corn Salad / Mache Mystery
  • Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2010 17:20:42 -0500

Yes, it is small! That is why you plant it sort of bed style, and fairly thickly. I saw Eliot Coleman go into his cold frame and take a straight edge knife and cut right at the soil line under a whole bunch of the little rosettes (cutting so that the root did not come). Then he put them in a bag and took them into the house and they made a nice green salad of them. I'd whack them up a bit, but I like 1" morsels, not 3" ones. Just wash them well and spin 'em. Voila! I started out by exploring, too, and was inspired by seeing a tv program of Eliot with the Mache. If you leave a leaf or two, by the way, they may grow back.

Barb
Z7a Piedmont Virginia