nafex - [NAFEX] Saving over-fertilized plants

  • From: "Jim Fruth" <jimfruth@charter.net>
  • To: "NAFEX" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Saving over-fertilized plants
  • Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2010 09:32:48 -0600

If your plant needs fertilizer and you fertilize it, it usually takes eight days for the fertilized plant to show signs of being fertilized. If you over fertilize, the effect may appear sooner. If over fertilized and you want to save the plant, stir in copious amounts of gypsum into the soil and water profusely. This technique usually works with potted plants and can also work if planted outside in well drained soil. It'll take time but plants often restore their health.
Most of the cases of over fertilization I hear about is from users of 'Miracle-Gro.' I warn my students to not use it or any high nitrogen fertilizer -or - if they do continue to use it, water with 1/2 teaspoon (the little end of the plastic spoon that comes with Miracle-Gro) per gallon of water every)(!) time they water the plant.

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Farm
Pequot Lakes, MN 56472
For jams, jellies, syrups and more: