nafex - [NAFEX] Winter greens - corn mache OT

  • From: Rosholdt <rosholdt@erols.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Winter greens - corn mache OT
  • Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2010 06:41:11 -0500

Betsy,

FYI, Mache is listed in seed catalogs as either mache or corn salad. I have tried Bistro, and some of the others and always keep coming back to D'Etampes. It will grow in the open ground even up here in Zone 7a, But will stay cleaner with a little bit of protection. Mache is a little winter eater!

I have had such incredible success with floating row cover and small hoophouse, that I grow most of the winter greens in there. (Success being buttercrunch and bronze arrow lettuce, spinach, arugula, chicory, endives, carrots all still coming strong for salads)

If I do protect it with plastic, however, Mache is usually planted near one end, so I can take the protection off it (or it will bolt if we get a warm spell).

Remember, each layer of protection moves you 1.5 zones south! (my start on winter production is thanks to Maine gardening expert Eliot Coleman - see his winter protection video at http://www.chelseagreen.com/content/watch-eliot-coleman-presents-the-story-of-the-winter-harvest/)

Barbara Rosholdt
Z7a central Piedmont Virginia