nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Tall persimmons

  • From: "Lucky.Pittman@murraystate.edu" <Lucky.Pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Tall persimmons
  • Date: Thu, 7 Jan 2010 06:19:47 -0600

Jay,
I've seen D.virginiana specimens which grew up in
relatively deep woods, in a high stem-density
setting, that were easily 60+ ft tall - with clear
trunks and no branches for the first 30-40 ft -
actually a decent timber-type tree, but not exactly
what I'd consider a 'shade tree'.
Most open-grown persimmons, whether seedling or
grafted, tend to grow as a spreading 'orchard' type
tree, not unlike a standard apple, though most I've
encountered haven't assumed the stature that most old
standard apples achieve; either that, or someone
grubs them out as 'junk' before they reach that size.

In my own experience, "NC-10", one of the very first
persimmons I grafted, has tended to have a much more
upright growth habit than other D.v. selections I've
grafted subsequently - but that one tree may be an
anomaly.

Nikita's Gift, aka Rosseyanka, is a nice one. Growth
rate here has been comparable to most D.v. grafts.
Fruits are larger than most any D.v.; ripen late and
hang well on the tree, necessitating hand-removal
once winter freezes arrive.

Lucky