nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Tall persimmons

  • From: jwlehman@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Tall persimmons
  • Date: Thu, 7 Jan 2010 13:31:41 EST

In a message dated 1/6/2010 11:56:13 PM Eastern Standard Time, orders@cuttsreviews.com writes:

I've read that American persimmon can get 50 feet tall.  I need a tree
to create some shade and it should get to 30 to 40 feet.  We're in
Albuquerque NM at 5000 feet and not many trees get that tall.

Does anyone have experience with the American persimmon getting that
tall in a reasonable amount of time?  It looks to me like the Japanese
persimmon doesn't get anywhere near that height.

Hello Jay,

The American persimmon three will get 50 feet when they're in competition for some light from other trees.  On the average it would take a persimmon in open Sun the long time to get 30 feet tall. And that can very greatly from seedling to seedling and soil nutrition and water availability will also influence the growth rate greatly. I have no idea how they would do in your New Mexico climate. My suggestion is if you're wanting a 30 foot shade tree in a relatively short period of time persimmon is not your answer.

Jerry