nafex - [NAFEX] Tall persimmons

  • From: Jay Cutts <orders@cuttsreviews.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Tall persimmons
  • Date: Wed, 06 Jan 2010 21:52:38 -0700

I've read that American persimmon can get 50 feet tall. I need a tree to create some shade and it should get to 30 to 40 feet. We're in Albuquerque NM at 5000 feet and not many trees get that tall.

Does anyone have experience with the American persimmon getting that tall in a reasonable amount of time? It looks to me like the Japanese persimmon doesn't get anywhere near that height. Would a grafted variety of Am. persimmon tend to not get as tall because of the graft? I see some varieties grafted on D. virginiana, so don't know that that would cause it to be shorter.

I just saw a variety listed in Burnt Ridge called Nikita's Gift, which is supposed to be a cross between American and asian persimmon with larger fruit than Am and hardier than asian. Anyone heard of this?

Best,

Jay

Jay Cutts
Cutts Graduate Reviews
800-353-4898 day or eve, 7 days
(In NM, 505-281-0684)

Kieran and/or Donna wrote:
I found a newspaper article from Oct 9 that we have put away for future reference. It said homeowners will be pleased this winter because not only are fuel prices down, but the official prediction was for mild weather this winter. It was just too good to burn, despite the nightly lows around 9-12 F that we've been having. Donna

**YOU MUST BE SUBSCRIBED TO POST!**
No exceptions. ----
to change other email options):

Please do not send binary files.