nafex - [NAFEX] Hail damage and regrowth

  • From: "Mark and Alisha Fehringer" <markandalishafehringer@peetzplace.com>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Hail damage and regrowth
  • Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2009 20:39:53 -0600

Hi,

We received a major hailstorm on August 8 which defoliated grapes to the tune of 65-95% leaf loss.  It also caused major damage to young trees and new grafts.  The grapes are regrowing nicely from the leaf node buds.  However, these are the buds that would have grown out next spring, and so are throwing out flower clusters with the new shoots.  Will picking these flower clusters off the vines help them harden off, or is it late enough in the season that it won't matter?  Our 'average' first frost is in the first week of October.  I am also seeing T-budded trees push out the new bud due to the damage, but I don't see that anything can be done for them.

Thanks,

Mark
Northeast Colorado,  4500' elevation, z 4.