nafex - Re: [NAFEX] OT-corn smut

  • From: "Stephen Sadler" <Docshiva@Docshiva.org>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] OT-corn smut
  • Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2009 17:19:33 -0700

Google recipes for huitlacoche.  I use it in eggs, quesadillas, and things where cooked mushroom would taste good.  It would match really well with pasta, but not the most appealing visually; but as a pasta stuffing, really good.  It’s sometimes marketed as the Mexican Truffle, which sounds better than “corn smut,” but I don’t think it’s descriptive.  “Corn mushroom” better describes the flavor.  However, it does taste good in any most recipes that would taste good with truffles.  Different taste, yet very good substitute.

~ Stephen