nafex - [NAFEX] deer repellents

  • From: Alan Haigh <alandhaigh@gmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] deer repellents
  • Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2009 06:01:30 -0500

I think it would be useful to investigate the literature on any research about deer repellents.  There is a forest industry in this country that relies on repellents to a certain extent so I know some of this research has been done.  Some years ago I read of a study comparing several repellents on the market and the Deer Away formulation was deemed most affective.  Its active ingredient is inedible egg solids.

After this study, I think, Cornell began suggesting egg as a repellent- much cheaper than the commercial formulation.  I have also seen studies where Ivory soap bars have proven their worth in spite of the often published theory that the highly perfumed soaps are most affective.  Ivory works better.  Small bars, still in their rap, are sometimes tied to individual trees in commercial orchards to help free standers get established.

This is why I tried combining Ivory with egg.  The egg has to be a very good sticker too.  Try getting some dried egg off a plate with running water only.

Anyone want to google "deer repellent research"?