nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Paw Paw ripening

  • From: Eric Farnsworth <tropicofkansas@sbcglobal.net>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Paw Paw ripening
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2009 06:50:05 -0800 (PST)

Betsy,

Yes Paw paw ripening can be stretched out using refrigeration, but in my opinion, it is only something to do if you have no other options. That is to say that time of ripeness can be elongated, but quality will suffer. Also, if the fruit is not at least partially ripe before refrigeration it will never ripen. It's tricky. If you want to preserve your paw paw harvest, the best way is to freeze it. I pulp them out then load the pulp into freezer bags, squeezing out the air. Of course this will yield something only useful as an ingredient for things like a very delicious ice cream or cheesecake - frozen pulp isn't much good for 'fresh' eating.
There was a study done at Kentucky State University covering this very topic and presented at their Paw paw Field Day last September. Try looking around at http://www.pawpaw.kysu.edu
Good luck,
Eric Farnsworth, Lawrence KS
Thanks Suzi,

I am planting my first pawpaws this spring.  I was intrigued by a
comment on page 4 under "Time of ripening".

He suggests "If placed in a refrigerator in fairly hard condition and
left for 2 - 3 weeks or until soft, especially pleasing results (flavor
I am assuming -BH) are claimed."

Do others agree with this technique based upon pawpaw ripening
experience?

Betsy Hilborn
7a NC

  • Re: [NAFEX] Paw Paw ripening, Eric Farnsworth, 01/27/2009