nafex - Re: [NAFEX] musk strawberries

  • From: John S <swim_at_svc@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] musk strawberries
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2009 01:22:25 -0800 (PST)

Kurt,  I have had a very similar experience with these two varieties from Raintree.  After a couple of years of production, the plants stopped producing fruit.  However, I am not at this time willing to assume that this is because there are no male plants.  The plants do bloom and produce what looks like a small green berry that might get to about 1/4".  However, the fruit soon aborts, sometimes turning black, but mostly just drying up.  The plants are still very hardy, and grow like weeds thourghout my garden.  I don't make any effort to weed them out, but don't hesitate to plow them under or remove from any place where they might be a problem.

If the addition of a male plant resoves your problem, I would appreciate hearing about it.  If any other members have insight, that would also be appreciated.

John Zone 5