nafex - [NAFEX] Difference between Hemskirke and Alameda Hemskirke?

  • From: Spidra Webster <spidra@speakeasy.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Difference between Hemskirke and Alameda Hemskirke?
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2009 13:32:50 -0800

Hello there,

At the recent CRFG Scion Exchange, I picked up scionwood for Alameda Hemskirke. I wasn't sure whether the name included Alameda or whether it just meant the scionwood came from a tree grown in Alameda (a local SF Bay Area city). But Googling turns up a very few references, including "Report of the Agricultural Experiment Station of the University of California", that say it's a separate variety than Hemskirke.

Does anyone have knowledge about this cultivar, particularly how many chill hours it needs?

Megan Lynch

Berkeley, CA

CRFG, NAFEX: I'm in USDA Zone 9b

Garden with me on Folia: http://myfolia.com/gardener/spidra/invite
Golden Gate Chapter Blog: http://crfggoldengate.blogspot.com/

CRFG Flickr Pool: http://www.flickr.com/groups/crfg/

Chapter Events on Upcoming.org: http://upcoming.yahoo.com/group/3429/

  • [NAFEX] Difference between Hemskirke and Alameda Hemskirke?, Spidra Webster, 01/27/2009