nafex - Re: [NAFEX] grafting pears onto apple?

  • From: Steve <sdw12986@aol.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] grafting pears onto apple?
  • Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2008 13:42:20 -0400

I have a Nova pear grafted about 4 or 5 feet up on a mountain ash. It's not exactly dwarfing. I have to keep cutting out the top to keep it from being taller than my house. (One story house but the tree is growing on ground only a couple feet higher than the basement floor.) I forget how old it is but it has been producing pears for 5 or 6 years now.
I didn't set out to do this. I purchased a normal Nova tree from St Lawrence Nurseries. I read about pears being compatible with mountain ash so I collected some scion wood one late winter and gave it a try. As it turned out, the original tree died before it produced a single pear, probably because a cat we owned back then decided it made a great scratching post.

Steve in the Adirondacks

Claude Jolicoeur wrote:
3.0.1.32.20080921110957.01238060@pop.ulaval.ca" type="cite">
Ginda,
I did quite a few tests of topgrafting pears in adult Cortland trees.
Eventually, all the grafts died, but some have lived for 10 years and have
given fruits. It is a very unusual sight to see a branch full of pears in a
tree full of apples!
Also, if you have Crataegus (Hawthorn) or Amelanchier, you could try
grafting in those. The grafts will probably also eventually die, but may
live long enough to produce. I have had some pears from a Hawthorn tree.

Claude Jolicoeur,
Quebec.