nafex - Re: [NAFEX] grafting pears onto apple?

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] grafting pears onto apple?
  • Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2008 07:52:20 -0700

Several years ago at Oregon State U. Dr. Porter Lombard grafted Asian pears to M26 apple rootstock, using an interstem of Winter Banana apple. Winter Banana is apparently compatible with both apple and pear, though it often helps to put a piece of Old Home interstem between the Winter Banana and the regular pear. The result, M26/Winter Banana/Old Home/Asian Pear trees were fully dwarf, productive, and showed no signs of graft imcompatibility after five years of bearing.
This was seen at the 1987 NAFEX meeting held at OSU.
-Lon Rombough
For all other things grape, http://www.vitisearch.com
A video about The Grape Grower : http://cookingupastory.com/index.php/2008/04/18/the-grape-grower/