nafex - [NAFEX] Do I have a white flesh peach?

  • From: sherwin dubren <sherwindu@comcast.net>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Do I have a white flesh peach?
  • Date: Wed, 03 Sep 2008 00:12:21 -0500

Last year, after doing a frustrating search for a Belle of Georgia Peach Tree,
I spotted a nice looking grafted one at my local Home Depot. I normally don't
buy from the builder's store, but the price was right and the tree looked healthy.
It started bearing fruit the very next year. I was glad to see it was several weeks
later than my Redhaven. I'm just now beginning to see a dropped peach. The
Fruit, Nut, and Inventory book says you should leave these peaches on the tree
until they drop for maximum ripeness. The fallen peach looked clean, but when
I opened it up, I saw a yellow color, almost identical to my Redhaven, yet this is
supposed to be a white fleshed peach. My concern is whether this tree is miss-
labeled, although the grower had put a distinctive tag on the tree as a Belle of
Georgia. I called a friend of mine, who also grows this variety, and he said that
this year his Belle of Georgia also was giving yellow flesh peaches. Question, is
this a recognized phenomenon with white fleshed peaches, possibly due to some
climatic effect here this year in the Chicago area, or do I have a miss-labeled
tree?

Sherwin Dubren
Morton Grove, Illinois