nafex - Re: [NAFEX] War on Skunks; truce proposal

  • From: Ginda Fisher <list@ginda.us>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] War on Skunks; truce proposal
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2008 22:49:12 -0400

On Jun 30, 2008, at 7:32 PM, Stephen Sadler wrote:
. . .

As far as spraying, it's not something they like to do. They'll do it when
threatened; so people will experience dogs getting skunked, and young
foolish boys, but you don't find many skunkified deer or grownups. Walking
by would not usually be a threat requiring chemical warfare; barking and
growling, or poking with a stick, would draw a response. . .

I'll second the "they won't bother you if you don't bother them" comment.

One day I looked out my window to see what looked like a skunk with a 4 foot long undulating tail. Upon closer inspection, it was a mama skunk with about a dozen babies all following after her (and looking like an extended tail.) They were adorable, and it was a remarkable enough event that I took my children out so we could all get a better look. We were careful not to directly threaten mama, but we got within 15 or 20 feet or her and watch the family as it strolled across my lawn. She never even threatened to spray.

Skunks ordinarily threaten before then let loose. They tap their feet, and then aim. If you back away when they tap their feet, they will leave you alone. (I'm told they'll do a handstand after the foot tapping and before spraying, but I've never let it get that far.)

They are highly visible, so unless you are trying to get at "their" food (the dog food) or you're in the habit of walking around blindfolded, I doubt you'll ever be in a situation when there's any chance of being sprayed. Skunks go in my "live and let live" category of wildlife.

Ginda