nafex - Re: [NAFEX] War on Skunks

  • From: nottke1 <nottke1@earthlink.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] War on Skunks
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2008 20:55:10 -0400 (GMT-04:00)

Jim,
To me skunks are good to have around, despite the very slight rabies risk.
They can sense underground insects and are very adept at digging them out.
The holes you are seeing are probably places where they have extracted grubs.
The main benefit for me is that yellow jacket nests are one of their
favorite foods - by August the yellow jacket population builds here and about
the same time I start finding holes where a skunk has dug up the nest and
extracted each larva from the cells. See
http://eduscapes.com/nature/skunk/index2.htm
Jim Nottke