nafex - Re: [NAFEX] North side

  • From: "William C. Garthright" <billg@inebraska.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] North side
  • Date: Sat, 31 May 2008 09:51:32 -0500

I live in Northern VA (zone 6b) and have all of my strawberries (> 100
plants) on the north side, 2-3 feet from the house and they have done
wonderfully for 18 years!

I'm curious if anyone else has grown strawberries on the north side of their house. This would be a perfect place for me, since it's nothing but grass and lily of the valley right now. But I've got a tall house, and it wouldn't get sun except for a bit in the morning and then very late in the afternoon.

I planted strawberries near my apple and pear trees, thinking that I'd enjoy them until the trees got bigger. They're doing great, but I discovered that I can't work around the fruit trees with the strawberries underfoot. And I have to watch what I spray when the strawberries are blooming. But, I must admit that I'm enjoying them so much that I don't want to get rid of them entirely.

The biggest problem I have with strawberries is trying to keep them watered during our hot, dry summers. So the north side of the house might actually help with that. I just wonder if they'll do well enough here (Nebraska, zone 5) in so much shade. Barbara's suggestion sounds great to me, but has anyone else here tried it? I thought it might be helpful to ask.

Thanks,

Bill
Lincoln, NE (zone 5)

--
We can only wonder what a Manhattan Project aimed at alternative energy might have accomplished by now, had it been started 15 years ago. What we have had in lieu of vision, leadership, and backbone is a series of easy paths taken. - Jeremy Grantham